Monday, January 20, 2014

"Love and Loss" [Facebook post from 01-12-2014]

I've read several posts lately from friends upset in relationships that haven't worked out, or maybe they've given their hearts to those who haven't reciprocated for one reason or another; some have suffered losses--a beloved pet or family member (one and the same, I know). I'd like to pass along something I first read many (many) years ago. Britain's longest-serving poet laureate (and its first), Alfred, Lord Tennyson, wrote a lengthy ode after the passing of one of his oldest friends...yes, a man who had been a school chum well liked by thousands: Arthur Hallam. You probably know these last lines of one of the final cantos of the poem. The idea applies to all of the situations I mentioned. The point? Love is never lost when it is given. Why would you keep it? If you love someone in any way, say so, whether your deep emotion is returned or not:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

---Much love from me to you, my friends, old or new.

DrDan

01/12/14

No comments:

Post a Comment