Thursday, January 23, 2014

“Cowboy Up!”

I grew up in the 50s and 60s…the decades of the TV Western and some of the classic Western movies.  I watched The Duke become the symbol not only of the American West but of the spirit of American independence and “Can Do!”  He and Paladin, Marshal Dillon, The Rifleman, Rowdy Yates, and dozens of others showed us little buckaroos how real men dealt with adversity, whether it presented itself as a gang of villains, or Miss Kitty and the usual passel of schoolmarms and city women lost on the trail.

We learned about bravery, of course, against all odds.  More than that, though, we learned about conscience, virtue, integrity, moral courage, and the justice of doing the right thing even if no one was looking.  Some of those men even tried to take those persona into the real world (or so they wanted us to believe).  One even became President of the United States.  No matter what your politics, that’s quite a goal to achieve.

I was reminded recently of my long fascination with Arthurian Romance Literature and the cult, I’ll call it, of the chivalrous knight errant.  Despite the real urge to give a history lesson, I’ll forgo that, but I think the connection between that centuries-old mystique is more than responsible for how we have come to view the American cowboy tradition.  The character of Paladin, of course, was directly linked in the TV show to the knight in shining armor, even if he did dress all in black.  All of these heroes shared those qualities, however.  They were champions of the downtrodden, seekers of truth and justice instead of fame and fortune, defenders of the weak, and always gallant gentlemen with the ladies…at least until the late 60s and early 70s.

Historically the American cowboy actually was much like his TV and cinematic counterpart.  The entertainment industry got the ages wrong, except in The Cowboys, and failed to include the hundreds of freed slaves, the would-be cavaliers of the Old South, American Indians, Irish, Russian, Mexican, and immigrants from other nations.  The character—make that Character—of the cowboy, however, seems to be close to those heroes.  Although many were poorly educated, that’s not necessarily a requirement for being a good person.  Most of them believed in the American Dream, worshiped one god or another, minded their manners (although where some learned manners is a good guess), dressed in clean clothes as much as possible (including ties!), and wrote their mothers.  I’d say they’re better role models for our sons (and daughters) than just about any “star” today whether he’s playing a 21st century role or living his flamboyant life.
 


I always wanted to grow up to be a cowboy like those fellows from my youth.  Most of they boys I knew did, as well, at least for a while.  I’ve known very, very few who accomplished the dream, and they didn’t last long.  It’s a hard life, worse now than at the height of the big cattle drives in the 1860s-1880s.  I still aspire to the principles of my childhood heroes, though.  I’ve always liked the style, too.  So, when you see me in my boots and jeans and cowboy hat, just say, “Howdy.”  But smile when you say it, pardner.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment