Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Starting a New Year of School

I had a terrific school year in 2008-2009, due in large part to the Class of 2009. Since most of my teaching assignment is with Honors eleventh graders and Advanced Placement English with twelfth graders, I do have "the cream of the crop" most of the time. This group was pretty special, though. They are as involved in their lives--school, community, family--as most of my students, but they seem to have an extra enthusiasm for life as well as an understanding of the gifts they have and the opportunities available to them. When I hear or read about all of the negative things it is so easy to convey about teenagers today (just today?), I remind myself of the great promise I see in my students each year and especially with this group.

I have been writing poetry for years and originally wanted to be "a writer" instead of a full-time teacher. For 37 years most of the writing I've had time for has been lesson plans, policy statements, and curriculum materials. Now and then something happens that inspires me: the 1986 Challenger explosion, my oldest son's marriage, and the FHS senior class of 2009. The beginning of this new school year (and every new school year), makes me hopeful and anxious to greet the promise of new students.

The Promise

An enthusiastic hand waves
expectantly
questing, demanding, hoping
pleading
today
tomorrow
Help

An encouraging heart smiles
knowingly
acknowledging, prodding, permitting
hoping
today
tomorrow
Help

DJC (for S.B.)
4/13/09

No comments:

Post a Comment